The Student News Site of Lake Local Schools

Digital Newspaper

Digital Newspaper

Digital Newspaper

The Blue Streaks Posing after a Stellar win
Who's Next at Bat?
April 26, 2024
Chance Casenhiser #0
Best Blue Streak Ever?
March 13, 2024
Anthony Miller (Senior) pinning opponent
Surging above Expectations
February 28, 2024

Surging above Expectations

Lake Wrestling Program is Becoming One of the Best in Stark County Under New Head Coach: Jesse Villers.
Anthony+Miller+%28Senior%29+pinning+opponent+

The Blue Streak Wrestling Team is led by outstanding seniors and a new up-and-coming head coach. The Blue Streaks have been piling up wins at the last few tournaments. Three seniors (Anthony Miller, Zane Beard, Josh Jordan) performed very well obtaining a record of 18-0. 

“I feel like I exceeded expectations, I beat several ranked opponents among different divisions and schools. I go out there with a chip on my shoulder to impress my coaches and competition.” Anthony Miller when asked about how he performed in the previous tournament. 

The head coaching job has changed significantly in the past couple years. Coach Mattingly was the beating heart of the wrestling program, then he recently retired and gave the reins to coach Villers. Coach Villers has been an assistant coach for the Blue Streaks for a while, so he was ecstatic to receive the opportunity of head coach. 

“Being the assistant coach for several years I was used to going with the flow, but when you’re the head coach, you have to run every aspect and make sure you have all of the details figured out. This experience has really made me respect the previous head coaches vastly more. Coach Mattingly and Coach Cline built an excellent wrestling program and I continue to fall into those footsteps.” Elaborated by Coach Villers. 

Coach Villers has poured his love and time into this wrestling program and it’s showing among the team. 

“He’s fitting into the head coaching shoes very well. The more time he spends coaching the better he will become.” Josh Jordan (senior) spoke on Coach Villers and his recent head coaching performance.

Anthony Miller has been wrestling for most of his life and the biggest influence on him was coach Villers because he has taught him a few different techniques for the upper weight class that helps him become an overall better wrestler. “Coach Villers has been a huge motivation factor for me heading into tournaments and his guidance has helped me throughout my high school career” said Miller.

Jessie Villers has adjusted well into the wrestling program and many teammates have praised his efforts. The wrestling program is coming together and is looking forward to winning the federal league. 

“Winning the Hephner tournament this year was great! To see the hours and hours of hard work that our guys have been putting in pay off with a tournament win like that was really great to see. We have a great group of guys that pour their blood, sweat and tears into this sport and they deserved to see it pay off for them 2 weekends ago. Getting to see on our guys’ faces as they were on the podium receiving their awards or as we were taking the team photo with the trophy afterwards brought so much joy and happiness to me. It was great!” Coach Villers explains how much impact the recent tournament has had on him personally and the program.

The wrestling program is heading in the right direction with seniors stepping up and becoming role models for the younger classmen. A lot of the seniors are helping out, but one that stood out was Zane Beard. 

“I try my very best to help and coordinate my teammates to win and succeed. I helped them prepare for tournaments also” explained by Beard when asked how he contributes to the younger classmen. 

Wrestling is a huge mental toughness sport, the amount of dedication and hardwork that goes into becoming a wrestler is astronomical. The off-season is the most mental toughness test of them all, but at the end of the day if that’s what it takes to win, then all the hard work is worth it.