The Student News Site of Lake Local Schools

Digital Newspaper

Digital Newspaper

Digital Newspaper

The Blue Streaks Posing after a Stellar win
Who's Next at Bat?
April 26, 2024
Chance Casenhiser #0
Best Blue Streak Ever?
March 13, 2024
Anthony Miller (Senior) pinning opponent
Surging above Expectations
February 28, 2024

Veterans Day Assembly

Matthew Higginbotham
Mr. Harold giving his introduction speech to an enthusiastic crowd

Veterans Day is a major holiday that began in 1938 and it was officially named “Veterans Day” in 1954. The day was designed to honor all soldiers who are/have served in the United States Military. Veterans day is widely celebrated  in today’s world because it helps to thank all the veterans that have served. Most importantly, it honors the fallen brothers and sisters who sacrificed their lives for their country. Each year, Lake High School provides a ceremony to honor local veterans of all ages. Between 125-150 veterans come with their families, excited to be there, we welcome them with open arms of gratification.

Mr. Harold has noticed this event is “second only to graduation.” When asked what stands out most Mr. Harold responds, “The behind scene features of Mrs. Bordo with choir and orchestra students. Another thing that stands out is Mrs. Metzger and all of the preparation she does for the assembly.” 

All songs performed, whether they are sung by the Reflections group, or performed by Orchestra, are reflective of the United States Military.  Veterans day to Mr. Harold is a major event in his life with his relatives serving, so he takes quite a bit of time to plan his speech. 

“I think about my speech for a while and I always make it unique to the veterans and the people at Lake.” Harold decides all the speakers through some sort of tie between Lake. 

Mr. Harold pointed out that Mrs. Metzger is the backbone of the assembly. “I usually start a couple months prior to the event,” Metzger says. 

She said this is her 8th year constructing the ceremony, she looks to make it as patriotic as possible. When asked about the growth over the years she said, “We’ve been sending invitations all around the community for local veterans to make an appearance. We also like to incorporate different decorations around the school to show awareness of Veterans day.” Mrs. Metzger added. 

Kucko was the surprise speaker at the Veteran Day’s meeting. She graduated from Lake in 2012 and enlisted into the military in 2012. One day in school she walked up to the recruiters to ask them where to begin her final months during senior year. She’s excelled in her area of expertise and traveled all around the world. 

“Don’t be afraid to try new unorthodox things. Don’t let other people’s opinions decide what your future can hold” (Said Kucko).

Mr.Harold ended the ceremony with inspiring thoughts for fellow students and faculty, “The way we can honor veterans is to think and act like a veteran each day”.