The Student News Site of Lake Local Schools

Digital Newspaper

Digital Newspaper

Digital Newspaper

The Blue Streaks Posing after a Stellar win
Who's Next at Bat?
April 26, 2024
Chance Casenhiser #0
Best Blue Streak Ever?
March 13, 2024
Anthony Miller (Senior) pinning opponent
Surging above Expectations
February 28, 2024

The Women Who Dominated 2023

A year in review of the top women of 2023.
Artwork by Samantha Kuruc

The year 2023 was a year filled with multiple women who captured our attention. Both Hollywood and the music industry saw talented women win awards and break barriers. Some of the biggest stars in today’s society are women who have most definitely dominated the year. In 2023, a few of the women who made the biggest impact were: Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Margot Robbie, and Rihanna.

Taylor Swift

This year has been one of the biggest years for Tayor Swift. She has broken records and broken barriers for women, especially in the music industry. One of the biggest parts of Swift’s year has to be her stadium concert, The Eras Tour. Since March of this year Taylor Swift has been touring across the US and Latin America. This concert has been ginormous, in just North America the tour has a projected gross of $2.2 billion, making it the highest-grossing tour by a female artist. Besides the massive concert the songwriter has been performing she has also been breaking award records. This year she had her 13th album go number one and tied for the record of most VMA awards in one night, with a total of 9. Also this year swift was named Person of the Year by Time Magazine. This most recent award makes her the first woman to appear on the cover twice and the first person to be selected for their achievements in the arts. While there is so much more Swift has done this year it is clear as to how she dominated 2023.

Beyonce

Beyonce achieved her highest-grossing tour to date called the “Renaissance Tour”. She was the most nominated artist at the 2023 Grammys. She was a part of the Renaissance Film that was a hit at the box office for the first 2 weeks, with a steady decline recently. Other than the slight decline in film viewership, Beyonce and Taylor Swift continue to dominate their tours in 2023. 

Margot Robbie

One of the most talked about movies of the year this year was Barbie. This summer was filled with talk about the movie and its accomplice, Oppenheimer, creating the famous Barbenheimer phenomenon. The release of both films led to an increase in views and encouraged many to see both films. This phenomenon led to people flooding the theaters to see the movie. The star of the movie, Margot Robbie has received praise for her work in the film. Robbie’s work on the film has led to a mass amount of nominations for the film and a total gross of $1.44 billion. This number has made the film the highest-grossing film of 2023. Barbie was a smashing hit and it shows through the work Margot Robbie and countless other women put into the film. Barbie was one of the highlights of the year and it shows the power of women especially in 2023.

Rihanna

In February of 2023, Rhianna sang, pregnant in the football halftime show. She received much backlash for singing from such tall heights with a child, Rihanna overcame hate and continued into the year with many great accomplishments. Her song in the Black Panther movie was nominated for a Grammy. The song was made in 2022 but was nominated in 2023. She was the first female to hit 1 billion Spotify streams. Along with Taylor Swift, the women dominated the song industry with many loyal fans. 

2023 has been the biggest year for talented women inspiring young generations for years to come. Women have made strides to achieve more in the world and these women are just a few examples of women being inspirational and powerful.