The Student News Site of Lake Local Schools

Digital Newspaper

Digital Newspaper

Digital Newspaper

The Blue Streaks Posing after a Stellar win
Who's Next at Bat?
April 26, 2024
Chance Casenhiser #0
Best Blue Streak Ever?
March 13, 2024
Anthony Miller (Senior) pinning opponent
Surging above Expectations
February 28, 2024

Lake Local Schools Upcoming Levy: Here is What to Know

On October 24th, Lake Schools held a save the arts showcase to highlight the great achievements of the arts program.

Lake Local Schools is currently looking to pass their first operational levy since 2006. This levy was first placed on the ballot in May. Due to low voter turnout in the May election, the levy failed 70% to 30%. According to the levy committee, this levy must pass to keep the schools running.

When levy committee member Jeni Menegay was asked about the gravity of issue 33 she said, “Passage of Issue 33 is the best way our community can come together for all the staff and students at Lake. We have been number 1 in Stark County 8 years in a row and this year won Blue Ribbon National honors. This is because everyone works so hard and it would be a disservice to the school and community to have to see cuts made of this fails.”

Menegay outlined many of the cuts that could be made if the levy were to fail. Some cuts include: 20-25 teachers, elimination of CCP classes, reduced foreign language options, reduced STEAM electives, removal of art and music from the primary and elementary, increase in pay to play to $950 per athlete per sport, removal of up to 20 bus routes, zero bussing in grades 9-12, and no bussing for K-8 farther that 2 miles from the school.

The first round of cuts could go into effect this spring for pay-to-play but most cuts will happen after approval of the board for the 24-25 school year. Menegay also said: “If the levy should fail our District will have to look at ways to save $3 million a year in expenditures.”

One of the biggest questions surrounding the levy is taxes. Many people are wondering if the levy were to pass how much would property taxes increase. Menegay also explained the tax increase, she explained: “Your property taxes will go up by $347 each year for each $100,000 of the county auditor’s appraised value. This is not what your house will sell for, but what the county auditor has appraised your home for.”

One of the best ways to preserve the legacy of our district is to vote. Election day is quickly approaching, early voting is always an option but November 7th, election day is the last day to cast a ballot. To continue to provide an amazing education and provide opportunities for success at Lake it is imperative that every community member votes.