Career Technical Education Q&A

Maddie Swartz, Staff Writer

Tis’ scheduling season! For those entering their junior year, the choice for their future becomes heavier and more important. Thankfully, being a student at Lake Middle High School means that there are multiple opportunities for students to choose classes to better pursue their interests. The Career Tech Education (CTE) programs held at Lake and the surrounding schools in Stark county (Plain Local Schools, Jackson Local Schools, and North Canton City Schools) provide students with a chance to head-start their future careers. Listed below are the most commonly-asked questions concerning the program, answered by Career Tech counselor Mrs. Marshall.

-Speaking as CTE coordinator, what should students expect in a Career Tech program, workload-wise? 

“Depending on the program really, mostly project based. Mock Trial, Marketing, Health Tech—there will be normal day-to-day assignments, but they also participate in career skill building exercises through large community and school projects.’’

-What programs are available at Lake?

“We have the Health Tech Preparation, Legal Studies, Marketing/ Business Management, GENYES/IT. JTC (Job Training Coordination) and Career-Based Intervention (work-study).”

-What standards does the school hold for Lake students planning on traveling to other schools?

“[To be] Responsible, no discipline issues, respectful for those around you, all in all, we expect the students traveling to uphold the values we are so proud of here at Lake High School.”

– In a nutshell, what does the preparation process look like for a student preparing for a Lake-based CTE program? An away one?

“It is available for everyone, questionnaires given to teachers give input for a student getting ready. We suggest they can go to the Career Tech website. Any of the other schools’ websites have information as well. Make sure you have all of the proper documents and visit the counseling website for more information.”

-What does the transportation system look like for students attending a CTE program outside of the district?

“All juniors are required to ride the bus to the location. Seniors have the option to drive or ride the bus.”

*Some responses have been edited for clarity. 

If you’re planning to join a Career Tech program, take a look at these questions and learn more from the counseling website! Any more questions? Feel free to ask Mrs. Marshall! Email her at [email protected] .