LMHS Fall Play Conquers Shakespeare

High School Fall Production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Kaylee Haigh

High School Fall Production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Kaylee Haigh, Staff Writer

In early November, Lake High Schools Drama Club performed a production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare in the LMHS performing arts hall. Students and staff alike worked hard to make the weekend showings a success. Some were intimidated at first, as Shakespeare can be difficult to memorize and perform. Emily Walls, who has been the adviser of Lake Drama Club for five years now, led the Blue Streaks to success. 

“Every single time I get to see you guys perform on stage, and I get to see and know all the work and mess ups an everything that went before it, and that you guys learned, and were able to put on this cohesive thing for people and they don’t even get to see all the background work its just very gratifying,” Walls expressed. 

The end result was a very gratifying, and enjoyable experience to watch and perform. Actors: Jordan Horinger, Brandon Holstine, Ella Warth, Alex Wagner, Jayson Rowe, MJ Dean, Eli Carter, Logan Mccourry, Jacob Iczkowski, Natalie Holstine, and Emily Bolton

lead the cast, and starred in this year’s fall production. Many challenges were faced in the process such as the process of learning, memorizing, and projecting the Shakespearean language.

“The way that we speak as people today is not how Shakespeare wrote his plays, but I think that we handled it in stride, we’ve done our best with a very complicated play, and I think the efforts will be seen by the audience” Walls stated.

Shakespearean language is incredibly different from the language modern society has grown up speaking. Many actors struggled to completely understand the phrasing , and properly pronounce words at first. However, they put in the effort to try and learn the language. This effort and motivation did not go unnoticed. It was greatly enjoyed by the many parents and students in the audience. 

Although actors are the face of the show, a good performance wouldn’t go on without the amazing work of the tech crew, led by Lake’s new Performing Arts Hall Technician, Ben Beadle.  “The crew’s doing great work. I mean I’ve got no problems, and they’re doing their job great, and I can’t appreciate them any more.” Beadle exclaimed.

This year’s tech crew did a truly amazing job working on set pieces, lights, sounds, and all of the other great things they do that really make the show. Everyone in the crew put in effort for the sake of the show. Many used time from their lunch periods, and put in hours after school to create sets and props. Others learned to manage the backstage. They were in charge of opening and closing curtains, as well as making sure the cast was quiet and ready for their entrances.  And, of course, do not forget about the students in the booth controlling spot lights, mics, sound effects, and more. The crew really worked as a team for this performance. 

Be on the lookout for LMHS’s next production in the spring, of the musical Bye Bye Birdie.